Travel & Transportation Guidance
Some PennDOT rest areas and welcome centers are now closed to the public. The following rest areas are open in Pennsylvania's Ninth District. For a complete list of open rest area through the Commowealth, click here.
- Interstate 80 eastbound in Columbia County, 3.5 miles east of Exit 242
- Interstate 80 westbound in Columbia County, 10 miles west of Exit 256
- Interstate 80 eastbound in Montour County, 4.5 miles east of Exit 215
- Interstate 80 westbound in Montour County, 4.5 miles west of Exit 224
- Interstate 81 northbound in Luzerne County, 1.5 miles north of Exit 155
- Interstate 81 southbound in Luzerne County, 1.5 miles south of Exit 159
- All Driver License Centers and License Photo Centers throughout the Commonwealth are closed until further notice. Drivers can acess online services and resource here.
- Effective April 30, 2020, expiration dates for driver licenses, photo ID cards and learner's permits scheduled to expire from March 16, 2020 through May 31, 2020, are now extended through June 30, 2020. You can renew your license any time online.
- Berks Area Regional Transportation Authority (BARTA) services are operating on its Saturday schedule effective March 30. For latest updates, visit bartabus.com.
- Effective March 25, Carbon County Community Transit will not operate its Lynx bus service and shared trip paratransit riders are asked to limit their trips. For latest updates, visit carbontransit.com.
- Lebanon Transit has modified its routes. For latest updates, visit lebanontransit.org.
- Luzerne County Transportation Authority has modified its bus routes. For latest updates, visit lctabus.com.
- Hazleton Public Transit has modified its bus routes. For latest updates, visit ridehpt.com.
- Schuylkill Transportation System has temporarily suspended its service. For latest updates, visit go-sts.com.
Federal Transportation Guidance
- TSA will allow one container of hand sanitizer per traveler up to 12 ounces.
- If your ID expired after March 1, 2020, the TSA will still accept it as valid for boarding.
- You may bring disinfecting wipes onboard an airplane but you may not bring sprayable disinfectant.
- You may request fresh gloves and swabs during security screening by TSA.
- The State Department has issued a Level 4 Health Advisory - U.S. citizens are advised to avoid all international travel.
- American citizens who live in the United States should make immediate arrangements to return to the U.S.
- Travel recommendations by country
REAL ID Delay
- REAL ID compliance has been delayed until October 1, 2021.