Meuser Statement on Democrats’ Spending Bills

November 6, 2021
Press Release

WASHINGTON, D.C.— Congressman Dan Meuser (PA-09) released the following statement regarding Congressional Democrats’ deal linking a Transportation and Infrastructure bill to their partisan multi-trillion dollar tax and spend reconciliation bill.

 

“After three months of delay on a Transportation and Infrastructure vote, in the final hours before voting on nearly 5,000 pages of legislation totaling $5 trillion in spending, progressive and moderate Democrats cut a deal. Moderates would vote for reconciliation, progressives would vote for T&I, and Republicans were not invited. As these two bills are inextricably linked, if T&I had been defeated, reconciliation would have likewise failed. I have strongly supported a standalone transportation, infrastructure, and revitalization bill for months and I worked hard with my colleagues on a bill that would benefit Pennsylvanians and the American people. I could not, however, support spending $5 trillion of taxpayer dollars when I support only the 20% dedicated to hard infrastructure and I believe most of the other 80% would be detrimental to our economy, national security, and global competitiveness. The American people don’t want us to make government bigger, they want us to make our country better.”

 

###